Wednesday, December 14, 2011

26

yesterday was my birthday. i am now all of 26 years old. it was a perfect family day, just the four of us. we went to the festival of lights, dinner and ended with a short trip to the mall.

i couldn't stop thinking how wonderfully blessed i am and wishing i could freeze time, so i could have that warm happy feeling in my heart forever. lately, my heart has been so heavy with sadness it was a welcome change. last month i had a miscarriage. it was not my first or second...

corey and i weren't planning on having more kids but it was a very welcome surprise when those two lines appeared. things were going well, we had even seen the babies sweet little heart beat at 6 weeks. then when we went back to check on the progress of the pregnancy at 8 weeks, there was only still silence on the screen. my heart literally broke in that room. it was devastating.

we decided to do genetic testing and we found that i have a chromosome defect. this defect makes it extremely difficult for me have children without medical intervention and that i gave birth to two healthy children on my own, is basically a miracle. when corey and i were given this news we decided to close the door on growing our family. so, for the past month not only have i been grieving the loss of my baby but all the babies i will never have.

grief is a strange thing. sometimes i feel like i am turning a corner and then the tiniest thing happens, like finding a baby sock in the bottom of gracie's drawer and that pain in my chest starts to hurt so bad again that it takes my breath away. i know it will get better and the light at the end of this dark tunnel is coming, even if i can't see it yet.

7 comments:

  1. I love you and our two miracles are so blessed to have you as their mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you and my heart just broke again while reading this. You are an amazing mommy and friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Joanna. Let's get a margarita. Also, you may not have any more bio kids, but think about adoption or fostering. You would be an amazing mother to a baby in need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry :( My heart breaks when I hear this kind of news. Thinking of you and your already perfect family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie, that sounds wonderful! Email me lets make a date!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are amazing!!! And Happy Belated Birthday!!! I miss you and cant wait to hang out with you guys soon!!! I love you and am always thinking about you/praying for you and thinking how grateful I am to have you as such a good friend!!! And yes like Corey said your two little miracles are sooooo blessed to have you as their mommy!!!
    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Happy Birthday, Joanna! (I know it's late) You have proved that miracles DO happen!

    ReplyDelete