Sunday, March 7, 2010

Making the Transition

So this whole fatherhood thing is harder than it sounds. Not only do you actually have to take care of human beings, but you have a lot less time to do much else. It took me awhile to make the switch from college kid to father. I didn't want to give up my partying ways or my "freedom". Joanna hated that I couldn't understand this concept of growing up and moving on. I think I am much better now, but I think people don't understand how hard it is for dads. Most of my friends still do the bar scene and still go out till 4 in the morning on the weekends. Obviously I can't and don't want to do that because I have to get up at 7:30 AM the next day.

So what do you do when you can't keep up with friends? You try and find some new ones that have similar lives. Well at the age of 21 (when we had Grace) or 24 right now, not many others are having babies. And having to go to work and not getting home till 5:30 or 6 each night, it doesn't leave much time to try and hang out with others who do have kids. Noah goes to bed at 7, so it would be pointless to try and do something after work. So that leaves Saturday's and Sunday's. I need to get into a better rhythm on Saturday's but I never know if Joanna is going to work or not, and after a long week of working two jobs, Saturday's I usually just want to do nothing. Then on Sunday's we go to Joanna's parents for dinner, which, don't get me wrong, I look forward to.

Joanna made friends real quick, but she gets to hang out with them during the day while I am working, and by the time I get home, they are done hanging out and had already seen them that day and most likely don't care t meet back up. So this is why I think it is harder for dad's to make this transition.

One of the reason I bring this up is because at a baby shower last night at least 2 couples said that we should hang out more, which I hope they meant, because I am holding them to it hahaha. One couple has no kids, but are tired of the bar scene and just like the chill atmosphere like I enjoy. And the others are having a baby in about 5 weeks. Both couples are awesome and I hope to become closer to both.

I think I am just rambling while trying to explain these feelings and I am sure Joanna will make fun of me for writing too much and will threaten me to split up our blogs like she does every day.

What do you think? Was it hard for you to make the transition? I am just weird because I will always be an extrovert?

No comments:

Post a Comment